Saturday, December 6, 2008

People, look east.

Furrows, be glad.
Though earth is bare, one more seed is planted there.
Give up your strength the seed to nourish,
That in course the flower may flourish.
People, look east and sing today: Love, the rose, is on the way.
--Eleanor Farjeon (1881-1965)

As I prepare for a long Second Sunday of Advent tomorrow, I have to pause to remember why this season exists in the church year. The secular world jumps straight from Thanksgiving to a glorious month of Christmas. Lights cover everything, and Christmas cards stuff mailboxes. Series of Christmas parties litter the first weeks of December, and there are sales, and carols, and charities and a thousand other "Christmas things" that pop up as soon as the turkey starts digesting.

Growing up in the Pentecostal church, I too followed that model. But I've become more aligned with the liturgical seasons of the church over the last few years, and Advent has become a part of my faith. It's not a pause before Christmas. It's not denying the joy of the holiday season. Advent is a moment of expectancy.

Advent is when I should reflect on the Hebrew expectations and longings for the coming of a Messiah. It is also when I should reflect on the Christian expectations and longings for the second coming of Christ. It's a dual season. One that prepares the Christian for the beginning and the end of the Christian Era.

For that reason, the lyric above is the central design of my Christmas card this year. Or maybe I should call it my Advent card. Either way, it is about the need to rejoice in the coming of Christ, but also commands action and sacrifice. I think it is a strong message, and a beautiful way to possibly inspire others to join in the spirit of Advent.

1 comment:

Katie Rose said...

holy craaaaap!!!! You made it super easy for me to stalk you now. yay yay yay.